June 3, 2023

A building in Brooklyn known as the site of multiple murders no longer exists.

Early Wednesday morning, a four-story row house in Crown Heights burst into flames, burning the interior of the home.

The two-alarm fire at 222 Brooklyn Ave. began around 5 a.m. and took more than 100 FDNY firefighters to put out, four of whom were injured in the process, the Brooklyn Paper first reported.

The fire – which also spread to an adjoining residence – left the facade of No. 222 like a charred, visibly collapsing shell.

The landmark property’s fiery fate comes decades after it first gained notoriety.

Known as the “house of evil,” the historic abode may look unassuming from the outside, but it was long the headquarters of “Pastor” Devernon “Doc” LeGrand’s “church.”

A father of 46, LeGrand would drug and drink teens, seduce them, and initiate them into his Brooklyn “commune” at the residence, where he then abused and forced them to trade in nun’s clothing.

Children were caged, starved and beaten in the building until police arrested LeGrand in 1965 on charges of child abuse, The Post previously reported.

222 Brooklyn Avenue burns down
The home caught fire early Wednesday morning.
Burger app

222 Brooklyn Avenue burns down
FDNY is investigating the cause of the fire.
Burger app

222 Brooklyn Avenue burns down
The charred side of the building after the fire.
Burger app

222 Brooklyn Avenue burns down
The building before it burned down.
Google Maps

LeGrand was accused of killing both his first and second wives. He eventually went to prison for the double murder of his 18-year-old daughter-in-law Gladys Stewart and her sister, 16-year-old Yvonne Rivera, whom he beat to death in his church house before having them dismembered and burned with paint thinner in an upstate bathtub .

LeGrand died in prison in 2006, aged 82.

Police have twice excavated the building’s basement in search of the bodies of the cult’s many missing members.

LeGrand’s children continued to live in the home and sued the city for harassment multiple times after their father’s death, accusing police of raiding the home and falsely pursuing them due to the family’s disturbing history.

After the fire, some local residents expressed relief that the building was gone, Gothamist reported.